An unexpected whopper just showed up on your face. Like a mosquito bite or scab, you want to touch it. You want to pick at it. You really, really want to pop it. But should you? While most skin care professionals would prefer you left it alone, the truth is that YES, you can – but only if your blemish is white. Here’s how: On clean skin, use two Q-tips to gently press on either side of the blemish. Dab what comes out with a tissue (if you see blood or feel pain, stop!), then use an antibiotic spot treatment. We recommend Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix, Dr. Dennis Gross Correct and Perfect Spot Treatment, and Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Emergency Spot Fix. After that, hands off!
When it comes to layering your skincare products, there’s a right way and a wrong way. In fact, the order in which you apply your products is just as important as what’s inside them. You know the first step to use a cleanser, then a toner…but what comes next? Don’t fret. Learn to layer products like a pro, with our guide to skin care layering below.
Morning regimen order
1. As a general rule, apply your lightest product first. Serums, which can range in texture from liquid to gels are applied first because they deliver the highest concentrated of active ingredients most efficiently. Pick two or three serums that each treat one of your concerns. For wrinkles, we recommend formulations with added peptides, like PCA Skin ExLinea Peptide Smoothing Serum. Look for serums, like SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense, that contain salicylic acid is best for oily skin types.
2. Use targeted treatments for problem areas next, like Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix on that persistent blemish, or cover your crow’s feet with your favorite eye cream. We recommend one with an SPF like DDF Protective Eye Cream SPF 15 or Dermalogica Travel Size Total Eye Care SPF 15.
3. Then, apply full-face treatments, like an antioxidant treatment or acne treatment for the entire face.
4. Moisturize to seal in your other products. Facial oils, like John Masters Organics Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil or Rodial Stemcell Super-Food Facial Oil, can be applied after to any dry spots you find after moisturizing. If you’re using two or more serums under your moisturizer, skip any facial oils to avoid becoming too greasy. Remember, facial oils can penetrate moisturizers but not vice versa, so always apply your moisturizer before a facial oil. If you choose a moisturizer with an SPF, opt for one with UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection with a minimum SPF of 30. We recommend a lightweight, oil-free moisturizing SPF, like Elta MD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46.
5. SPF. You’ve heard it a million times, but we’ll say it a million-and-one. Never leave home without an SPF on your face. We’ll leave it at that.
Night regimen order
1. Retinols need to be applied directly to clean skin to be most effective. However, if you have sensitive skin, applying a serum or moisturizer before hand will help the retinol to penetrate with less irritation.
2. After your first layer has absorbed, apply any targeted treatments, like a rich eye cream (we recommend Neocutis Lumiere Riche Bio-Restorative Eye Balm), or if you have any other spot specific treatments, like NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening Gel for dark spots and discoloration, now is the time to apply.
3. Finish with a moisturizer. Apply a heavier night cream, like SkinCeuticals Emollience, for drier skin types. If you have oily skin, opt for a lotion, instead of a cream as they are less hydrating. Many are specifically for problem or acne-prone skin. We like Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear Face Lotion.
Morning or evening, remember to wait for a few minutes between for each layer to allow for the product to absorb. This way each product is able to penetrate and deliver its specific benefits without interfering with the function of the next product layer.
Sales pressure and misleading information have likely made you believe that you must use products from the same brand to see results. This is 110% FALSE. Not only is it perfectly OK to mix and match products from different brands, but sometimes doing so is essential if you want to get the best results possible! But you don’t need a chemistry degree to master your skincare equations because we’re revealing some of our favorite high-powered pairs! Choose your skincare concern and see your solution below.
Blotchy or Uneven Skin Tone
These two work together to help create skin that looks more even-toned and younger.
Murad Rapid Age Spot & Pigment Lightening Serum
Revision Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer SPF 45 Original
Create a virtually poreless complexion instantly and over time.
Clarisonic Replacement Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head
PCA Skin Total Strength Serum
Do you mix and match your skincare brands? Let us know in the comments below!
It’s that time of the year again and if you’re the type to put off holiday shopping until the last minute, not to worry—there are plenty of speedy ways to ship your items nationwide and ensure that they’ll arrive before Dec. 25.
To receive your order before Christmas on December 25th, please follow these suggested (not guaranteed) cutoff shipping days to allow enough time for processing and delivery.
Standard (Free Shipping) orders must be placed by Wednesday, December 18, 2012
All Priority Shipping orders must be placed by Thursday, December 19, 2012
Express Overnight orders must be placed by Friday, December 20, 2012
Orders placed after the above cutoff dates will be delivered after Christmas.
Alaska and Hawaii deliveries: Please add 3 additional days for standard shipping. For Express Shipping to Hawaii, add 1 additional day.
DISCLAIMER: The United States Postal Service cannot and will not guarantee delivery before Christmas even if you follow these suggested cutoff dates. This is merely a guideline. Please plan ahead.
Look in the mirror. What do you see? Dullness, redness, dark spots? Patience is a virtue with these customer-favorite products—but give them time, keep applying, and see your spots fade while the rest of your skin get more luminous! Pick two or three from the list below to use together.
| A.M. serum:
to brighten and protect
Dermalogica Dynamic Skin Recovery SPF 30
to reduce redness or sallow skin
NeoStrata Bionic Face Serum
to smooth and hydrate
Sothys First Wrinkles Revitalizing Serum
|A.M. spot corrector:
to erase dark sunspots
Jan Marini Age Intervention Enlighten Plus
to enhance glow and protect
Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream
to cover and correct blotchiness
Dermalogica Cover Tint SPF 20
to tackle dark age spots
Neova Serious Clarity 4X
to illuminate overnight
Dermalogica Overnight Repair Serum
to improve overall texture
Exuviance OptiLight Tone Corrector
|P.M. spot fixer:
to erase lingering blemish marks
Murad Post-Acne Spot Lightening Gel
| P.M. mask:
to add radiance
Repechage Biolight Brightening Miracle Mask
to nix dullness
Vivite Night Renewal Facial Cream
And don’t forget, no matter what your skin looks like — sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Treating your spots without properly protecting yourself is just a waste of time.
Due to outdated information and misperceptions, toners have become a confusing category of skin-care products that many fashion magazines and cosmetic salespeople advise against using, or simply dismiss toners as an optional step. However, a well-formulated toner can provide truly amazing benefits for your skin.
Toners are meant to be used after cleansing. They once were recommended as a way to restore skin’s pH balance after using a bar soap or bar cleanser because those types of cleansers raise the skin’s natural pH to a level that isn’t good for your skin. However, with today’s gentle, water-soluble cleansers, the skin’s pH doesn’t change appreciably, and the fact that skin’s pH recovers just fine on its own made the need for toners to adjust skin’s pH fade away.
What we now know is that after cleansing, what your skin needs is a range of ingredients that restore and repair its surface. Skin can never get too much of these important ingredients, which include antioxidants and skin-repairing substances such as glycerin, fatty acids, and ceramides. The right toner can give your skin a healthy dose of what it needs to look younger, fresher, and smoother, right after cleansing and throughout the day.
If the toner is well formulated, we recommend that you make toner an essential part of your cleansing routine because the benefits can be felt and seen almost instantly. Below is a list of some of our favorite toners for various skin types available at SkinMedix!
Toners for Oily or Blemish-Prone Skin:
- SkinMedica Purifying Toner
- Dermalogica Clean Start All Over Clear
- Murad Clarifying Toner
- Glytone Acne Cleansing Toner
Toners for Dry or Sensitive Skin:
- Wilma Schumann Soothing Toner
- Dermalogica Multi Active Toner
- Obagi Nu-Derm Toner
- DDF Aloe Toning Complex
Toners for Combination Skin:
- SkinCeuticals Equalizing Toner
- Neova Balancing Toner
- Exuviance Moisture Balance Toner
- PCA Skin Nutrient Toner
If the toner you’re considering is filled with great ingredients (like those in the list above), then skipping this step is cheating your skin of more of the beneficial ingredients it needs to become healthier and act younger. A toner that contains state-of-the-art ingredients proven to smooth, soften, calm, and repair skin is a wonderful addition to anyone’s skin-care routine!
Do you use a toner as part of your skin care regimen?
We see so much anti aging advice for our face. But what about the other parts, like our neck and chest? These areas are often on display too, and if we don’t take good care of them, they can give away our age. Keep reading for tips on how to keep your neck and chest firmer and looking younger!
1. Extend down.
Whether it’s with your Clarisonic Aria Sonic Skin Cleansing Brush or a glycolic acid, extended your daily exfoliant all the way down to the top of your chest. Sloughing away the dead-skin layer allows active ingredients to absorb faster.
2. Up the ante.
The skin on the neck and chest is thin, so sun damage is more apparent and harder to repair. Both the neck and chest require stronger formulations to reverse aging. Dedicated neck creams are more concentrated and powerful than most face creams, but some facial formulas with retinol, such as Murad Time Release Retinol Concentrate for Deep Wrinkles, can be used on the neck and chest, too.
3. Bring in the peptides.
Some of the best ingredients for treating damage below the jawline is tetrapeptides, like the ones in StriVectin-TL Tightening Neck Cream. There’s plenty of science to show they help make new collagen and elastic tissue, which is what the neck and chest need to look firmer and younger.
4. Stengthen the skin barrier.
Niacin is a B vitamin that, until recently, we could not get through the skin barrier. Now a new delivery system, in the NIA24 and Strivectin-TL lines, means it can penetrate the epidermis and strengthen the skin barrier. Try NIA24 Sun Damage Repair for Decolletage and Hands to dramatically improve the texture and tone of the neck and décolletage!
5. Watch your wardrobe.
When you treat skin below the jawline with anti-aging ingredients, consider the fabrics you wear. Anything scratchy, like wool, can cause irritation.
Is treating your neck and chest already part of your skin care regimen?