An unexpected whopper just showed up on your face. Like a mosquito bite or scab, you want to touch it. You want to pick at it. You really, really want to pop it. But should you? While most skin care professionals would prefer you left it alone, the truth is that YES, you can – but only if your blemish is white. Here’s how: On clean skin, use two Q-tips to gently press on either side of the blemish. Dab what comes out with a tissue (if you see blood or feel pain, stop!), then use an antibiotic spot treatment. We recommend Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix, Dr. Dennis Gross Correct and Perfect Spot Treatment, and Dermalogica Clear Start Breakout Clearing Emergency Spot Fix. After that, hands off!
When it comes to layering your skincare products, there’s a right way and a wrong way. In fact, the order in which you apply your products is just as important as what’s inside them. You know the first step to use a cleanser, then a toner…but what comes next? Don’t fret. Learn to layer products like a pro, with our guide to skin care layering below.
Morning regimen order
1. As a general rule, apply your lightest product first. Serums, which can range in texture from liquid to gels are applied first because they deliver the highest concentrated of active ingredients most efficiently. Pick two or three serums that each treat one of your concerns. For wrinkles, we recommend formulations with added peptides, like PCA Skin ExLinea Peptide Smoothing Serum. Look for serums, like SkinCeuticals Blemish + Age Defense, that contain salicylic acid is best for oily skin types.
2. Use targeted treatments for problem areas next, like Murad Acne Spot Fast Fix on that persistent blemish, or cover your crow’s feet with your favorite eye cream. We recommend one with an SPF like DDF Protective Eye Cream SPF 15 or Dermalogica Travel Size Total Eye Care SPF 15.
3. Then, apply full-face treatments, like an antioxidant treatment or acne treatment for the entire face.
4. Moisturize to seal in your other products. Facial oils, like John Masters Organics Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil or Rodial Stemcell Super-Food Facial Oil, can be applied after to any dry spots you find after moisturizing. If you’re using two or more serums under your moisturizer, skip any facial oils to avoid becoming too greasy. Remember, facial oils can penetrate moisturizers but not vice versa, so always apply your moisturizer before a facial oil. If you choose a moisturizer with an SPF, opt for one with UVA/UVB broad spectrum protection with a minimum SPF of 30. We recommend a lightweight, oil-free moisturizing SPF, like Elta MD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46.
5. SPF. You’ve heard it a million times, but we’ll say it a million-and-one. Never leave home without an SPF on your face. We’ll leave it at that.
Night regimen order
1. Retinols need to be applied directly to clean skin to be most effective. However, if you have sensitive skin, applying a serum or moisturizer before hand will help the retinol to penetrate with less irritation.
2. After your first layer has absorbed, apply any targeted treatments, like a rich eye cream (we recommend Neocutis Lumiere Riche Bio-Restorative Eye Balm), or if you have any other spot specific treatments, like NeoStrata HQ Skin Lightening Gel for dark spots and discoloration, now is the time to apply.
3. Finish with a moisturizer. Apply a heavier night cream, like SkinCeuticals Emollience, for drier skin types. If you have oily skin, opt for a lotion, instead of a cream as they are less hydrating. Many are specifically for problem or acne-prone skin. We like Jan Marini Bioglycolic Bioclear Face Lotion.
Morning or evening, remember to wait for a few minutes between for each layer to allow for the product to absorb. This way each product is able to penetrate and deliver its specific benefits without interfering with the function of the next product layer.
Think Dad doesn’t like to be pampered? Think again! This year retire those BBQ sets and ties for something that will leave him looking and feeling great! Need some gift inspiration? Check out our Father’s Day Gift Guide below!
To get your gift by Father’s Day, be sure to place your order before June 6 for Standard shipping, June 10 for Priority shipping, and June 12 for Express shipping.
Cleaning your Clarisonic may seem redundant, but caring for your beloved facial brush can actually help it last longer. Plus, a dirty brush can spread around unwanted bacteria, fungus, and mold. Keep your pores and your Clarisonic clean following the steps below!
1. Remove the brush head. You can also push in the white clips on the back to separate the inner bristles from the outer bristle ring for a more thorough cleaning.
2. Add a couple drops of antibacterial soap to an old toothbrush and scrub the bristles and crevices of the brush head first. Then repeat with the device handle and rinse with warm water. Don’t worry about getting the power buttons wet – the entire device is waterproof!
3. Let the brush head air-dry overnight, before reattaching it to the handle.
4. Store your Clarisonic properly. The Aria and Pro models go upright in their drying/charging stands. Mias should lie face down with the cap on to protect the brush head bristles.
Is it time to replace that brush head? Shop Clarisonic Replacement Brush Heads here.
For our customers, this is great news! The Google Trusted Store badge now displayed across our site was awarded to SkinMedix by Google in recognition of consistent outstanding service. You can shop with confidence knowing you are buying from a company that provides a great shopping experience with a proven track record of on-time shipping and commitment to excellence in customer service. In the rare case that a problem with your order does arise, Google will work with us to find a solution in addition to offering free purchase protection of up $1,000 while shopping at SkinMedix.
Want to learn more about Google Trusted Stores? Watch Google’s informative video here. In the meantime, check out our stats below! You can also view our rating in real-time on our site by clicking on the badge in the bottom-right corner of our home page.
8 Beauty winners that will keep you looking flawless on—and off—the red carpet! And the award goes to…
A star is born—the spinning disc on the PMD Pro is coated with the same Aluminum Oxide crystals that are used by professionals. As the disc spins, vacuum suction removes dull, dead cells, leaving skin clear and vibrant. With the dead cells removed, skin is able to absorb products much more effectively.
PMD Personal Microderm Pro, $158.00
The ultimate makeup tool: created to leave you with a professional finish and a flawless complexion. These elliptical shaped sponges make application foolproof. Its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make-up dazzling and undetectable.
Beautyblender Sponge Applicator, $18.00
The original tube-technology mascara. Formulated to form tiny water-resistant “tubes” around your lashes for maximum amplification and hold, rather than painting them like conventional mascaras. Won’t run, smudge, clump, or flake, even if you cry or rub your eyes.
blinc Mascara – Black, $22.00
The ultimate tool to enhance the positive effects of your favorite topical skin care products. Rollers are proven to increase the absorption of the active ingredients in creams, lotions, and serums by up to 1000% by creating thousands of micro-channels in the skin that allow nutrients to absorb; the channels close after several minutes, locking in the anti-aging nutrients and anti-oxidants.
Micro Needle Roller 0.5mm, $28.00
A favorite among award-winning celebrities, SK-II;s luxe, pitera-packed antiaging mask leaves skin hydrated and glowing.
SK-II Facial Treatment Mask – One Treatment, $18.00
SK-II Facial Treatment Mask – 10 pack, $118.00
An ultra-rich facial cream that is specifically formulated to smooth fine lines and wrinkles, and replenishes skin to give a healthy and youthful appearance. It contains high levels of hyaluronic acid to help hydrate and tighten the skin, as well as antioxidants C, E, and A to help repair and prevent environmental damage; think of it as a multivitamin for the skin. Perfect for those who want to feel instant hydration—and its beautiful jewel-like jar, makes this product a great gift!
SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream, $98.00
This glamorous red liquid lipstain and gloss combo in Passion smooths, hydrates while giving you buildable, non-drying coverage that lasts for hours—from the opening monologue to the last after-party—and flatters every skintone.
Jane Iredale Lip Fixation – Passion, $30.00
It’s time to think beyond the washcloth and elevate cleansing to a sonic level in limited-edition Black Cheetah!. Unlike spinning devices, Clarisonic’s patented sonic technology works with skin’s natural elasticity, oscillating at a sonic frequency that produces over 300 movements per second. The resulting flexing action works to loosen dirt and oil, removing deep-seated impurities from pores and priming skin to better absorb topical treatments.
Clarisonic Pro Face and Body Spot Therapy Kit with Extension Handle – Black Cheetah, $220
Which SkinMedix products got your vote?
Sales pressure and misleading information have likely made you believe that you must use products from the same brand to see results. This is 110% FALSE. Not only is it perfectly OK to mix and match products from different brands, but sometimes doing so is essential if you want to get the best results possible! But you don’t need a chemistry degree to master your skincare equations because we’re revealing some of our favorite high-powered pairs! Choose your skincare concern and see your solution below.
Blotchy or Uneven Skin Tone
These two work together to help create skin that looks more even-toned and younger.
Murad Rapid Age Spot & Pigment Lightening Serum
Revision Intellishade Tinted Moisturizer SPF 45 Original
Create a virtually poreless complexion instantly and over time.
Clarisonic Replacement Deep Pore Cleansing Brush Head
PCA Skin Total Strength Serum
Do you mix and match your skincare brands? Let us know in the comments below!